My very dear friend R made some Blackcurrant jam a while ago. We recently ran out so I decided to make some of my own. It is very easy and everyone can make some. I decided to make some Strawberry & Raspberry Jam. Strawberries were bought from a local super market and I had some frozen Raspberries.
- Strawberries (coarsely chopped) – 1 Mug (A Coffee Mug)
- Raspberries (coarsely chopped) – 3/4 Mug
- Sugar – 1 Mug (add more if necessary)
- Lemon Juice – 2 Tbsps
- Add the finely chopped Strawberries and Raspberries to a non-stick pan and mix for few minutes.
- Now add the lemon juice and sugar and mix well.
- Keep mixing on medium flame until the berries become soft and bubbles start appearing.
- Now reduce the flame and keep mixing, making sure the mixture hasn’t hardened.
- Once the mixture reaches the consistency of Jam, turn off the flame and let it cool for a bit. Do not over cook the mixture. Try to keep it mildly liquidy as it will solidify when left out to cool.
- Transfer it to a clean air-tight bottle.
- Do not let the berries boil until the mixture becomes hard. It has to be loose and you should be able to easily transfer it to a bottle. If it does turn out hard, just heat the jam a little bit before using.
(OK..before you think I took a picture of some ready-made jam…let me tell you that I did not have any fancy jam bottles so had to re-use with an old one 😦