Curry Puffs are my one of my favourite ‘anyday, anytime’ snacks. Relishing Curry Puffs on the roads of Hyderabad with Irani Chai was my favourite pass time…especially on a rainy day. Though curry puffs at home taste better, the atmosphere is just not there. I miss those days very much 😦
Anyways, here goes the recipe.
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- Potato (Aalu, chopped into 1 inch pieces ) – 3 Large
- Green Peas (optional) – 1 cup (tea cup)
- Onions (finely chopped) – 2
- Tomatoes (finely chopped)- 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tsp
- Curry Powder – 1 Tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Chat Masala – 1 Tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1-2 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 Tsp
- Curry Leaves (torn) – 6
- Cumin Seeds – 1 Tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp
- Jus Rol Puff Pasty Roll – 1
- Oil – 5-7 Tbsp
- Water – According to Quantity
- A Pizza Cutter
- A Kadai
- Add oil to a kadai and let it heat. Then add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add cumin seeds and fry them a little…later add curry leaves and fry till they are crispy
- Now add onions and fry till they are golden brown. Then add turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste and mix.
- Leave for a couple of minutes and then add tomatoes and mix well
- One the mixture becomes soft, add curry powder, coriander powder, chat masala and chilli powder
- Mix well and let it simmer for a couple of minutes on a low flame
- Now add potatoes, green peas and mix well. Add water to the mixture if necessary….in order to cook the potatoes. I usually do not cook potatoes in a pressure cooker before hand since I absolutely hate washing up 😀 I try to keep utensils to a minimum
- Once the mixture is partially cooked, turn off the flame and let it cool (very very important)
- The mixture will be going into the owen, allowing it to cook completely
- Once the mixture is cool enough, add it to the cut puff rol pieces and tap the openings leaving some gaps in between to let the heat out whilst in the owen
- Pre-heat owen to 150° centigrade for 5-8 minutes and place the tray with the puffs in the owen. Leave it for 15-20 minutes but keep checking in between since they cook very quickly.
- Once the puffs swell up and reach light brown is colour, remove from owen
- Serve with Maggi Masala Chilli Sauce. Totally Yummy!!!